Besides Bird Park and Safari Park, in Bali, there is also Bali Butterfly Park located in Wanasari, Tabanan which is very interesting to be visited. For the local tourists, this place may not as popular as the two parks mentioned before, due to lack of promotion such as by brochures or promotion from the tour guides and travel agents which do not include this place as a part of their tour program. Until now, the visitors of this Bali Butterfly Park are still dominated by foreign tourists, with only a few visits from the local tourists.
Bali Butterfly Park or “Taman Kupu-Kupu Bali” is located in Jalan Batukaru, Banjar Sandan Lebah, Wanasari Village, Tabanan. Exactly, it is located about 6 km to the north from the capital city. This park is one of the butterfly parks which own almost all butterfly species across Indonesia. Besides watching the uniqueness and variety of butterflies from all around Indonesia, the tourists could also see the breeding process starting from the cocoon until the evolution into a beautiful butterfly.
This park was built in 1996 and managed directly by PT. Kupu-kupu Taman Lestari. This Bali Butterfly Park at the moment is the only one in Indonesia and is said as the biggest in Asia. Actually, the construction of this park had been planned since October 1993 after the International Butterfly Conference at 24 – 27 August 1993 in Ujung Pandang, South Sulawesi. The plan of building this park was based on the consideration that the richness of Indonesian butterfly species must be preserved and well known by the people. The total of the area covered by this park is 1 hectare, which is completed with netting area sizing 3700 m3.
Every day, there are hundreds of beautiful butterflies which are released into the wildlife. One of these released species is the most famous all over the world, the Paradise Birdwings Butterfly (Omithoptera paradise), Ornithoptera priamus, and other kinds from all over Indonesia. In a month, if it is calculated, there are minimum 3500 butterflies; such a great way to preserve the existence of this exotic insect, especially in Indonesia. Bali Butterfly Park keeps working on saving and breeding the species of butterflies for the purpose of science and study in the future. Besides, a complete collection of butterflies, this park also has a collection of various kinds of beetles, tarantulas, and scorpions.
Bali Butterfly Park also produces various souvenirs which are made from insects such as, Framing Butterfly, Framing Beetle, key chains made from insects, bookmark, a paperweight made from a transparent fiber containing butterfly, paintings from butterfly’s wings, and more.
Bali Butterfly Park opens daily from 08.00 – 17.00 WITA (Central Indonesia Time) and the last ticket sale is at 16.00 WITA. To be able to observe the butterflies’ and insects’ activities in this park, the best time for visiting is around 10.00 in the morning when they fly around the park searching for nectar. The entrance ticket in this park is divided into two categories: Rp 15.000/person for local tourists and Rp. 50.000 for foreign tourists. Although the price difference is aimed for attracting the local tourists’ attention, unfortunately the visitors of Butterfly Park are still dominated by the foreign tourists.
Unique Facts of Butterfly
For additional information, these are some of the unique facts that butterfly possessed:
1. If the body temperature of the butterfly is below 30 degree Celsius, a butterfly would not be able to fly.
2. Butterflies are able to migrate until thousands of kilometers to find a warmer place when winter comes, and then able to come back when the spring starts.
3. Some kinds of butterflies do not eat at all because they do not have a mouth. These kinds of butterflies live only by the reserve energy that they get when becoming a cocoon.
4. The size of a butterfly ranges from a one-eighth inch to 12 inches.
5. The butterfly has a long mouth for sucking food (usually nectar) which is called proboscis.
6. The wings of the butterfly are actually transparent. The colors are visible because of the brightness difference in the layers of its wings.
7. The butterfly is an insect with perfect metamorphosis. The growth of its body starting from hatching, becoming a cocoon, until transforming into a perfect butterfly is equal to a 27,000-time body growth.